Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday-March 30

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here are a couple of new words that I have learned while reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows:

Elocution:  a person's manner of speaking or reading aloud in public.

Here is how elocution was used on page 6:
P.S.  I did not throw "The Shepherd Boy Sings in the Valley of Humiliation" at the audience, I threw it at the elocution mistress.

Inveigle:  to entice, lure, or ensnare by flattery or artful talk or inducements.

Here is how inveigle was used on page 33:
I seized him and threatened him until he confessed your address-you see, Mr. Reynolds, you are not the only one who can inveigle innocent employees.

Vociferous: crying out noisily; clamorous.

Here is how vociferous was used on page 48:
The response was so vociferous Isola Pribby, our Sergeant-at-Arms, was forced to bang her hammer for order (I admit that Isola needs little enouragement to bang her hammer).

So those are the new words that I have learned while reading this fabulous book!  I can't wait to discuss this one with my book club next week!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

A friend of mine uses vociferous all the time - she's a middle school teacher - so I knew that one. Thanks for participating!