Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

A few new words were introduced to me as I've been reading The World Without You by Joshua Henkin on my Kindle:

Scatology:   the study of or preoccupation with excrement or obscenity.

Here is how scatology was used at location 327 of 4678:
Arthur was always turning scatology into philosophy.

Insouciantly:    free from concern, worry, or anxiety; carefree; nonchalant.

Here is how insouciantly was used at location 529 of 4678:
Noelle knows these words, having taken Ms. Picken's vocabulary-building class, the boys in the hallway staring up at her from their Barron's books as she walks insouciantly by.

Trichotillomania:  This definition is included in the sentence found at location 626 of 4678:
As a teenager, she developed trichotillomania; she pulled out clumps of her own hair.

Hubris:  excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.

Here is how hubris was used at location 628 of 4678:
Always the baby, as if it were hubris to give him a name.

Obdurate:  unmoved by persuasion, pity, or tender feelings; stubborn; unyielding.

Here is how obdurate was used at location 1413 of 4678:
Lily remains the most obdurate, most bullheaded, most unyielding person he knows.

Well I think that is enough new words to share with you all today.  Did you come across anything new in your reading adventures this week?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting words.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/07/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

Libby said...

Hey JoJo! I am a new GFC follower! Too bad that I am too old to take the SAT test today, because I knew all of the words except the last one - LOL! Nice post - I like your overall blog design too :)

bermudaonion said...

I knew what scat was so I kind of figured scatology out. Thanks for playing along.

Louise said...

YAY, I knew all your words this week. I love it when that happens, it makes you feel smarter, without actually having learnt anything new.... They're all wonderful words. I do hate how kindle gives those silly locations instead of pages- it irritates me and actively decreases my enjoyment of books read that way.

DCMetroreader said...

I think I have heard of hubris before, but the others were all new to me.