Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday-Feb. 10

 

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here are some new words that I learned while reading The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel by Maureen Lindley:
Truncheon:  the club carried by a police officer; billy.

Here is how truncheon was used on page 142:
I flirted with the red-turbaned Sikh police who shouted at the cars and hit the rickshaw boys with their truncheons.

Samphire: a European succulent plant, Crithmum maritimum, of the parsley family, having compound leaves and small, whitish flowers, growing in clefts of rock near the sea.

Here is how samphire was used on page 170:
We ate wonderful sweetmeats made from almonds and pear syrup, and invariably ended the banquet with a soup of samphire or chestnuts.

Haberdashery:  a retailer that sells men's furnishings, such as shirts, ties, gloves, socks, and hats.

Here is how haberdashery was used on page 195:
In a glass-fronted chest of drawers of the kind found in haberdashery shops were pairs of white buckskin gloves and fine-seamed nylons stacked neatly in their Cellophane wrappers. 

Shambolic:  Disorderly or chaotic

Here is how shambolic was used on page 236:
Yet it was a good deal more fitting for an emperor than the shambolic Quiet Garden in Tientsin had been.

So did you experience any new words in your reading adventures the last week?

5 comments:

Tea said...

Love your words especially taken with samphire. I never read that word in my whole life. And it's related to the parsley family??? Isn't that something???

http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2010/02/wondrous-words.html

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I would never have guess that for trucheon. I think I would have thought something to eat with or out of. Good to know.

Margot said...

Prevate Papers sounds good based on your words. Very interesting.

bermudaonion said...

I think I can remember shambolic because it reminds me of shambles. Great words - thanks for playing along!

Sharla said...

Fun words! Haberdashery and Shambolic are my favorites. I can see myself getting shambolic confused with symbolic though.

Thanks for sharing!