Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday-May 13



Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

I finished reading The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner this last weekend and here are a couple of new words that I learned:

Apoplexy: (ap-uh-plek-see) a sudden, usually marked loss of bodily function due to rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel, such as a stroke.

Here is how apoplexy was used on page 117:
"You should sit, madame, before you drop dead of apoplexy."

Pontificate: To express opinions or judgments in a dogmatic way.

Here is how pontificate was used on page 168:
Let your mother pontificate till she's blue in the face.

So what kind of new words did you learn this last week?

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Historical fiction is always great for discovering new words! Thanks for participating today!

TexasRed said...

Great words!

Phyl said...

Two of my favourite words -- especially pontificate. I know a lot of people who do that, ha!

Meanwhile, my lone word is at Bookishgal.

Anonymous said...

Great words.

Margot said...

I guessed on apoplexy and was wrong. Pontificate I knew because I tend to do it myself occasionally. I guess I'm the mother in your sentence.