Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday-Dec. 2



Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here is a new word that I learned while reading My Antonia by Willa Cather:

Quinsy:  a suppurative inflammation of the tonsils; suppurative tonsillitis; tonsillar abscess.

Here is how quinsy was used on page 34:
The next day I came down with an attack of quinsy, which kept me in the house for nearly two weeks.

So what kind of new words did you learn this week?

5 comments:

Julie P. said...

Great word and it's perfect for scrabble too!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Ooo! There you go - a new Scrabble word!
I wonder if it's British...

bermudaonion said...

Interesting word. Fortunately my son didn't have much trouble with quinsy, but my nephew sure did. Thanks for participating!

Lisa notes... said...

Oh, I read that book a few years ago! But didn't remember that word. Now I know.

Margot said...

Quinsy sounds very old fashioned but perfect for a Willa Cather book. I loved My Antonia. I hope you did too.