Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith

Here is a summary of the book from the Goodreads website:

In the latest installment of the universally beloved, bestselling series, Mma Ramotswe discovers the biggest miracles in life are often the smallest.Under the endless skies of Botswana, there is always something Mma Ramotswe can do to help someone and here she finds herself assisting a woman looking for her family. The problem is the woman doesn't know her real name or whether any of her family members are still alive. Meanwhile, Mma Makutsi is the recipient of a beautiful new bed that causes more than a few sleepless nights. And, at Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni has come under the influence of a doctor promising a miracle cure for his daughter's medical condition, which Mma Ramotswe finds hard to accept. Nonetheless, Precious Ramotswe handles these things in her usual compassionate and good-natured way, while always finding time for a cup of red bush tea. 

My Review: 
When my book club got together in March we met to discuss The Miracle at Speedy Motors.  Most of you probably know that we have been reading one novel in this series every year, but I can tell you from my viewpoint anyway, Smith did not disappoint once again with this installment.

These books are always a short, light read, but also filled with good morals and lessons within the pages.  As Mma Ramatswe tries to solve mysteries. her good manners and common sense always come first and help to create a positive outcome.  She learned early on that by just asking people what she is looking for, she will usually get the answers she is looking for.

There were only a couple of mysteries in this novel, and that was the main complaint from most of the ladies in the book club.  Some thought that Smith spent a lot of time reviewing events that had taken place in previous novels and that may have taken away from the current story.   I did not feel that way, as I felt a close connection with the current story.  Overall, it seemed to be a novel about finding one's place in the world when you don't have any family left.  Now that your family is gone, you have to embrace the new family that is given to you and move on with your life. 

Like I said, I really enjoyed this book and with themes of love, family, and acceptance, you may too!  Although it wasn't one of our favorites this year, we still enjoyed the entertainment it provided.  It's such fun to sit down and read this book with a cup of tea, as you can feel that Mma Ramatswe is right there with you.

My Rating:  4/5

Disclosure:  This book is from my personal collection (signed by Alexander McCall Smith when I met him in Minneapolis a couple of years ago) and I read it for my own entertainment and as a book club selection. 

3 comments:

Angie Vik said...

Sounds like a fun book. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I had fun on Tuesday night. Thanks again for asking me.

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read one of Smith's books in a while, but they are sweet, comfort reads. Glad to see this one is good.

nfmgirl said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I haven't read any of Smith's books as of yet. Maybe someday1