Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday-Sept. 9

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here are a couple of new words that I learned while reading The Kingmaking by Helen Hollick:

Whelp: (wělp) An impudent young fellow.

Here is how whelp was used on page 15:
With immense difficulty, she repressed the childish urge to stick her tongue out at the mongrel whelp.

Trireme: (trahy-reem) a galley with three rows or tiers of oars on each side, one above another, used chiefly as a warship.

Here is how trireme was used on page 43:
Branwen hauled her upright and ploughed forward, a trireme under full oar.

Amphorae:(am-fuh-ree) A two-handled jar with a narrow neck used by the ancient Greeks and Romans to carry wine or oil.

Here is how amphorae was used on page 68:
The place was empty save for a tumbled heap of wooden crates, several piles of discarded sacking, a few cracked amphorae and what looked like a battered saddle.

So did you find any new words this week?

8 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Except for whelp, I didn't know the other others. Interesting ones.

Wondrous Words Wednesdays

Lisa notes... said...

I did not know a single one. Thanks for teaching us.

bermudaonion said...

You found some great words. Somehow, I don't think I'll ever have the opportunity to use trireme or amphorae. Thanks for playing along.

Unknown said...

I'd heard of 'whelp' before but never bothered to check the actual meaning, glad to know finally what it means.

Suko said...

Super words, super idea. I knew whelp but not the others. I really should make a list of these!

Brook said...

I have heard the word whelp before, but knew it to mean "to birth". So I am glad to know there is another meaning of whelp. :)

This looks like an interesting book. Would you recommend it?

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

I think I can use whelp in conversation this week. I'm going to try anyway. It's the only one I thing I can pull off.

ibeeeg said...

You found some good words.
I loved the reading of The Kingmaking. The next book has just been released in the U.S. I need to read it.