Thursday, September 30, 2010

Review: Home in Carolina by Sherryl Woods


Here is a summary of Home in Carolina from Sherryl Woods' website:

There’s no place like home, especially if it’s Serenity, South Carolina. For Annie Sullivan, though, the homecoming is bittersweet. She’d always envisioned a life there with her childhood best friend, Tyler Townsend. But Ty’s betrayal has cost her the family and the future they’d once planned.

For Ty, losing Annie was heartbreaking. Still, he can’t imagine life without the three-year-old son whose mother left him for Ty to raise. Ty wants it all — Annie, his child and the future he’d dreamed about — and he’s back home in Serenity to fight for it. But getting Annie to forgive and forget may be the hardest challenge he’s ever faced. With the stakes so high, this is one game he can’t afford to lose.

My Review:
This is the 5th book in the Sweet Magnolia series but I think that Sherryl Woods did a good job of bringing us up to date on what happened in the previous books.   I'm confident that this book would fit into the romance genre, which I don't usually read, so please keep that in mind as you read my review.

Annie has moved back to her family home in Serenity after a bad break-up with her long time boyfriend Ty.  When Ty's baseball career turned professional things got a bit out of hand helping to cause the events leading up to the breakup between the couple.  Annie seems to be getting her life back on track and somewhat normal as she starts working in a spa that is owned by a couple of the Sweet Magnolias as a sports therapist.  Things are about to change for Annie when Ty returns to town recovering from a sports injury.

There is a lot of drama within the pages of this book, as just about every woman that is introduced had a dirty, rotten husband or boyfriend that cheated on her.  We learn that some were not able to get over their differences so there have been a couple of divorces in the past, while others were able to work through their challenges.  As the new generation of Sweet Magnolias emerges, they seem to bring their own marital woes with them. 

With Ty and Annie as the main characters of this book, the only question is whether they will be able to overcome the problems from the past and rekindle the love they once had.  If you are a Sherryl Woods fan I am not going to ruin this book for you by telling you the outcome.

My book club won copies of this book, which I find interesting because I really don't think that it made for a very interesting discussion.  I personally did not enjoy this book but I am curious to see what the other ladies thought of it.  I found many inconsistencies within the story itself that made me think that the author didn't know her characters very well.  I really do not enjoy writing negative reviews, but I feel this book could have been written much better if a bit more research went into it.  If you are looking for a general romance without much to offer intellectually then you may enjoy this book.

My Rating: 1/5

Disclosure:  I read this book as a book club selection from my personal collection.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I got a little excited when I saw the book was set in South Carolina, but I don't think that's the book for me.

Blodeuedd said...

Pretty sure I will not read this one, and if it only got a 5, no

Veens said...

You know, it is a coincidence really - just recently i was wondering about picking up a Woods title :)

I am not going to pick this one up for sure.