Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday-September 1


Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here are a couple new words I learned as I've been reading the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood:
Pedantic:  ostentatious in one's learning.

Here is how pedantic was used on page 11:
I used to tease him about being pedantic.

Lugubrious:  mournful, dismal, or gloomy.

Here is how lugubrious was used on page 54:
Sometimes I sing to myself, in my head; something lugubrious, mournful, presbyterian:

Pronatalist:  the policy or practice of encouraging the bearing of children.

Here is how pronatalist was used on page 120:
My oldest buddy Tricia accused me of being pronatalist, the bitch.

So those were the new words that I learned this week.  How about you?

3 comments:

Alyce said...

Nice list of words! I love learning new ones (or playing games with words in my head). Like I saw lugubrious and thought, hmmm... means mournful, so if you changed it to "legumbrious" would those be gloomy beans? Sad, I know. . .

bermudaonion said...

I always suspected Margaret Atwood would use lots of great words - maybe that's why I'm so intimidated by her work. Thanks for participating today!

Veens said...

I knew pedantic and I like Lugubrious!