Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Bookshelf Meme

<<
Michele at A Reader's Respite has tagged me with the bookshelf meme. What a fun way to get to know your blogging friends!

So let the fun begin!

And now tell me about...

The book that’s been on your shelves the longest:

I have kept my favorite Dr. Seuss books from when I was a little girl. I brought them out of storage when my kids were little but now I have them packed up again awaiting the arrival of grandchildren. I will also note that I am not in a hurry for this...but I will have the books when needed! lol

So my favorite Dr. Seuss book that I have had for at least 37 years would be:




The Diggging-est Dog by Al Perkins


A book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time, etc.):



The book that comes to mind for me is one that I brought with me when I went to visit my sister in Colorado when she was in Intensive Care in December 07. She was very ill and we weren't even sure if she was going to pull through. I stayed in her hospital room almost every day for a week and because her medication kept her sleeping I spent most of my time reading:



Have You Found Her by Janice Erlbaum


A book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used bookstore, prize, etc.):

I carpool a couple of days a week with one of my neighbors. We discuss books quite often and one of her co-workers gave her a book to read and she informed her that when she was done with it that she could just pass it on. She passed the following book on to me:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen


A book that’s been with you to the most places:

The book that I remember bringing with me to many places is one that I brought with me camping during the summer. So I had it with me while we were out on the boat and sitting by the fire. But for some reason I did not finish it that summer. I didn't actually finish it until I brought it with me to Cancun the following March. That book is:

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik


The most recent addition to your shelves:

Last weekend I had chaperoned for a Christian youth conference and I had the opportunity to take a few kids to the mall. Of course my requirement was that we will have to stop at a bookstore! This is what I purchased:

The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty


A bonus book that you want to talk about but doesn’t fit into the other questions:

The other book that I would like to bring to your attention is one that my book club had received copies of from Random House about a year ago. We had all loved this book and I would definitely suggest this book for discussion in your groups. It is:

Gardens of Water by Alan Drew



So I am going to tag the following blogs:

Toni from A Circle of Books
Ti from Book Chatter and Other Stuff
She Reads and Reads

Here are the rules for those of you that were tagged:

1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water…
5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.

9 comments:

Ti said...

Ok. I will work on my list and get back to you. Looks like a fun one! BTW...I enjoyed The Memory of Running. It was a bit odd and quirky but I liked it.

Meg89 said...

A great selection of books, although I don't know if I've ever read the Digging-est Dog, I'll have to add it to the TBR list! :)

LisaMay said...

I love Dr Suess, never heard of the Digging-est Dog though. My favourite is The Lorax :)

Lisa May
http://lookatthatbook.blogspot.com

Michele said...

Loved your answers, Jo Jo! It's such a fun way to get to know other bloggers, isn't it?

Jessica Brody said...

Hi Jo-Jo,

Thanks for posting on Free Book Friday! I just wanted to remind you that in order to be eligible to win a free signed copy of THE PROFESSORS' WIVES' CLUB by Joanne Rendell, you have to sign up using the form on the left side bar.

Thanks and happy reading!
Jessica

www.FreeBookFriday.com

Toni said...

Thank Jo-Jo.. this looks FUN!!!!!! I will get on it soon!!!!!!

avisannschild said...

Yay, thanks for tagging me for this meme! I saw Michele's post (or maybe it was someone else's) and was hoping I might get tagged for this one.

I apologize for not commenting here sooner!

Ti said...

Here's my Bookshelf Meme post. FINALLY!!

http://bookchatterandotherstuff.blogspot.com/2009/01/bookshelf-meme.html

avisannschild said...

I also just posted this meme today (here).