Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday-Jan. 13



Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here is a new word I learned while I was reading The Cost of Dreams by Gary Stelzer:

Oligarchy:  a form of government in which all power is vested in a few persons or in a dominant class or clique; government by the few.

Here is how oligarchy was used on page 12: 
He had finally spun out of the oligarchy's control and ordered the shooting of Indians thought be under the influence of foreigners, over the age of twelve, and caught in traditional native wear, liabilities that the village from which the siblings had traveled only learned about too late.

So did you learn any new words in your reading adventures?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That's a handy word to know, especially if you read a lot of history.

My words are here.

Margot said...

I've heard the word before but didn't remember it's meaning. I have this book on my shelf so this will come in handy.

bermudaonion said...

I'm sure I learned oligarchy in school at some point in my life, but I couldn't remember the meaning. Thanks for participating!