Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday-Nov. 18


Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here is a new word that I have learned as I've been reading Guernica by Dave Boling:

Monastic:  of, pertaining to, or characteristic of monks or nuns, their manner of life, or their religious obligations.

Here is how monastic was used on page 41:
Sister Terese felt that an afternoon watching local folk dance would be an acceptable diversion from the monastic ritual of the convent.

So did you learn any new words last week?

5 comments:

Margot said...

The title of the book is a new word for me too. Hope this book about the monastic order is enjoyable.

bermudaonion said...

That's a great word, but I'm glad I don't have to live a monastic life. Thanks for participating!

Lisa notes... said...

Sometimes a monastic life actually sounds appealing, but I probably would grow tired of it after a day (well, maybe a week). {smile}

Unknown said...

Great word! All of my years of catholic schooling and my siters college which was run by monks has me very familiar with this word! lol

Just Mom said...

Saw your comment on another blog about the Christms story and had to pop over and make sure you had seen the Hallmark ornament this year...the leg lamp!