Friday, April 24, 2009

The Journey is Over...Or Just Beginning

I wasn't sure if I actually wanted to post about this or not, but a few of you have sent me emails and left me comments over the last month inquiring about my sister's health. You may have noticed that there hasn't been much activity on my blog over the last week, and that is because Brenda passed away last Wednesday morning. So we actually left home last weekend to drive out to Colorado to go to her memorial service.


It's been a very sad time, but I am so grateful for the time that I got to spend with her earlier this month. Our time together really was like a special gift from God, because when they requested that I go out there at the end of March, we thought she was only going to have about a week to live. When I arrived and saw the condition that she was in I couldn't disagree with that. The doctor put her on a drug that actually stopped her vomiting and her condition really improved at that point, so she started eating everything and anything that sparked her fancy. From the mini Cadbury eggs to Doritos, we were having a fiesta in her room almost every evening! So after the first week I was there I decided to stay another week, because I just wanted to spend as much time with her as I could. During this time her condition was not declining in any way, and her doctor was actually amazed by her.


One thing that is very interesting is that when I arrived at the hospital last month, the doctor told Brenda that they were no longer able to treat her problem. She asked Brenda how long she thought she would have left, and Brenda told her 25 days. Her doctor proceeded to tell her that she hoped she was right, but realistically she would only have about a week left. Well Brenda showed her because she was pretty close to that 25 days, she was off by maybe a day or two at the most.


I was and still am very proud of how Brenda dealt with things towards the end. I know her heart was in such turmoil, mostly about knowing she was leaving her children behind, as any mother in her shoes would be. I think it was especially hard on Brenda since she was nine years old when our mom died, and her daughter had just turned nine years old herself in the beginning of April. I don't know what I would have done in her shoes, but just watching her with her kids sharing special moments together was amazing.


You have all been wonderful through this. I have received comments and emails that have been so supportive and uplifting I just don't even know how to thank you all for these! I've even received some blog awards over the past few weeks that have meant so much to me, that I will definitely try to get posted this weekend.


Brenda's journey on this earth is over, but her eternal journey has just begun. I know that I have a wonderful family and I am thankful for that, but it is also sad that I have to complete the rest of my journey without my sister. But at the same time I am grateful for the times that we have had together.


Thanks again everyone!

27 comments:

Lezlie said...

I'm so sorry, Jo-Jo. But I'm glad you got to spend that time together. You take care of yourself. Hugs.

Lezlie

Passages to the Past said...

My condolences to your family Jo Jo. This was a beautiful and touching post. What a blessing to have such wonderful memories of your time together. Your sister must have surely been comforted, being surrounded by such love. Here's a hug from me, take care of yourself.

Amy

bermudaonion said...

I had tears streaming down my face as I read this. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I am so thankful for the time you had with your sister at the end. I know you will be there for her children as much as you can. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Luanne said...

Oh Jo-Jo - my sincere condolences to you and all your family. I am so glad that you had time with your sister and that those memories will help you through this difficult time.(((Hugs)))

Missy B. said...

My heart goes out to you and your family, Jo-Jo. Your sister sounds like she was a very strong person. It is good that you got to spend some real quality time together...something to add to your memories of her. ~Hugs~

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your sister. But it was good that you were able to spend some time with her. You're in my thoughts.

Ti said...

I am sitting here bawling.. what a lovely post. I am so glad that you were able to spend this time with her. I feel for all of you, including her kids. It's just breaks my heart but you are right.. this journey has ended and another has begun.

Darlene said...

I am in tears reading this-it is a very beautiful post Jo-Jo. I am so sorry for your loss and I'm so glad you got to spend that special time with her. My thoughts and prayers will be with your family through this time. Hugs to you Jo-Jo.

Ruth King said...

Jo-Jo, I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's passing. I'm glad that you were able to spend so much quality time with her during the past few weeks. I'll be keeping all of you in my prayers, especially her children.

Beautiful post.

Unknown said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. I am so glad that you got to spend time with her. Thank you for letting us all know about your brave sister.

Janel

Desert Rose said...

You got an award waiting :) please pick it up here ..

http://desertrosebooklogue.blogspot.com/2009/04/2009-friendly-blogger-award.html

Kaye said...

Jo-Jo, I am so sorry to hear of your sister's passing. There really are no words of condolence. Sisters are the most special people - she will be in your heart forever. I'm so glad you had time to spend together. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Toni said...

I am so sorry. Thank you for this amazing and strong post. It seriously moved me. Much love and sunshine your way now and in the time to come dear blogger friend.

Blodeuedd said...

I am so sorry to hear this.
Take care and treasure the time you had together.
My thoughts are with you and your family

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that, Jo Jo. I am so sorry about your sister - she sounds like a fighter. You and your family are in my prayers.

ANovelMenagerie said...

My heart and prayers are with you.

Desert Rose said...

I am so sorry for your sister's passing.. I didn't read it the first time I was here, since I was in a hurry (I'm sorry for that).. I read it this time and my heart was crying with my eyes for your sister's pain for leaving her children.. I feel for you that it's hard to lose a dear person.. may God help her children and bring peace to your family.. but it's great that you got to spend her last days with her.. I'm sure she was very grateful.. and it gives you more memories to remember!

I was passing to let you know that you got another award.. you can pass by anytime you feel like it.. h

Desert Rose said...

sorry forgot to post the link..

http://desertrosebooklogue.blogspot.com/2009/04/super-comments-award-you-dont-say-3.html

Debb said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your sister, Brenda... having two sisters of my own... I would be in a world of hurt... please, give yourself time to mourn and to remember Brenda... being with her at the end of her life is a hard thing to do; but, you will cherish each moment as time goes by.... I also have a sister named Brenda and just the thought of not having her with me daily is unfathomable... take care ... Debb

Jo-Jo said...

Thanks again everyone! You have all been awesome. And I apologize for making you all sad...that's why I wasn't sure if I wanted to post about it or not, but I must admit that I think it helped me to be able to share.

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

Oh, Jo-Jo...I'm so sorry. Your post gave me goosebumps. I'm so glad you were able to spend that precious time with your sister.

Anna said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm happy you were able to spend some time together. My thoughts and prayers are with you. ((HUGS))

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Jenny Girl said...

Oh I am so sorry for you an dyour family. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Wanda said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, Jo-Jo. I hope the special time you got to spend with your sister will continue to bring comfort.

Bonnie said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your sister Jo-Jo. This post is a beautiful tribute to her and the love you shared for her. It is so touching and makes you stop and think how precious each day.

Gwendolyn B. said...

Jo-Jo, I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You wrote a stunningly beautiful and expressive post. What sweet memories you have of your sister. I'm glad that you were able to be with her.

avisannschild said...

I'm behind on my blog reading, so I only just saw this post. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jo-Jo, and my thoughts are with you and your family. Take care of yourself.