Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday's Movie-I Could Never Be Your Woman



A Novel Menagerie asks us to post about a movie that you watched the week before. It has been awhile since I have posted this meme, as we haven't had much time at home to watch movies recently, but this last weekend we finally kicked back and watched a couple.

I was in the mood for a light, romantic comedy so we watched I Could Never Be Your Woman:



Here are some of the details from the film:



Starring: Michelle Pfeiffer, Paul Rudd, Saoirse Ronan



Genre: Comedy, Romance



Runtime: 1 hr, 37 mn

MPAA Rating: PG13

Here is a brief summary from the MSN Movie website:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Clueless director Amy Heckerling returns to her position behind the camera for the first time in six years with this romantic comedy contrasting the age disparity romance of an older divorcée with the spring butterflies that her daughter experiences upon falling in love for the very first time. An aging professional (Michelle Pfeiffer) with little luck in love has finally found a fitting companion in the form of a much younger man (Paul Rudd). As her relationship threatens to move beyond something simply physical, her adolescent daughter (Saoirse Ronan) begins to wonder if the strange tingling sensation that she feels when she's in the company of a handsome local boy could possibly be the thing grown-ups refer to as "love." Of course anything is possible when Mother Nature (Tracey Ullman) is up to her old mischief, and with higher powers at play there's no telling what will come of the relationships experienced by these two love-starved souls. ~ Jason Buchanan, All Movie Guide

My Movie Thoughts:

I think that Michell Pfeiffer is one of my favorite actresses, so when I noticed that Paul Rudd(you may remember him as Mike from 'Friends') was also in this movie, I figured it would be a winner. Pfieffer is a writer/producer for a Hollywood studio and feels that her age is not giving her the 'edge' in the business world that she used to have. When Rudd auditions for a role on a high school sitcom that she is producing they develop an intimate relationship that they can't deny, even with the ten year age difference between them. As Pfeiffer's new relationship is developing, her teenage daughter is also developing into a woman. During this time her daughter has been blessed by receiving her first period, and she learns the ways of the heart with a young boy that has caught her eye. I think I appreciated the mother-daughter relationship of this movie maybe even a little more than the romance aspect of it. Although it was a cute movie, it probably wasn't the best romantic comedy that I have seen. It did fit the bill for what I was looking for this weekend though.

I rate this movie 3 out of 5 bags of popcorn.


5 comments:

Jess said...

I agree with your 3 out of 5. What got me interested was the fact that it had such great actors in it, yet the film went straight to DVD. I assumed it was going to be terrible, but I have definitely seen worse rom-coms (PS I love You or Someone Like You -- strangely, both based on books).

Jenny Girl said...

I have never heard of this movie. I like both actors, but unless I'm desperate I'll keep this on the back burner.

ANovelMenagerie said...

Straight to DVD? Wow. That's a new one for Michelle P. Anyway, if it's on cable, I'll record it.

Thanks for participating in Monday's Movie this week! How cool!

Sheri

Literary Feline said...

I don't think I've ever heard of this one, can you believe it? And I'm a Michelle Pfeiffer fan. Shame on me. I do enjoy a good romantic comedy now and then and this sounds like a fun one. As much as I do like films like this, I find more often than not that they aren't great for me--just as long as I have fun watching them, that's all that matters. :-)

Serena said...

I love Michelle Pfeiffer, but I have not heard of this movie before. Thanks for the review!