Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday-April 29

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!


I found a couple of new words while reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini:


Stalactite: (stuh-lak-tahyt, stal-uhk-tahyt) An icicle-shaped mineral deposit, usually calcite or aragonite, hanging from the roof of a cavern, formed from the dripping of mineral-rich water.


Stalagmite: (stuh-lag-mahyt, stal-uhg-mahyt) A conical mineral deposit, usually calcite or aragonite, built up on the floor of a cavern, formed from the dripping of mineral-rich water.

Both of these words were found on page 99 in the following sentence:


He knew the difference between a stalactite and a stalagmite, and could tell you that the distance between the earth and the sun was the same as going from Kabul to Ghazni one and a half million times.


So what new words have you learned in your reading adventures this week?

9 comments:

Lezlie said...

I always remember which is which from a silly rhyme I learned as a kid: When the mites go up, the tites go down. :-)

Lezlie

Michele said...

I can never remember which is which. Good think I don't go into caves often. :-) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list of those who can't remember which is which!

avisannschild said...

I'm with Michele and Lynne!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kerri said...

I can't wait to read this book. I've heard so many great things about it.

My words are here

bermudaonion said...

Thanks so much for playing along this week!

Jenny Girl said...

I always get these two mixed up!

Unknown said...

I always confuse these two, I hope that one day I'll remember which one goes up and which one down.

I gave you an award. :D
http://lilly-readingextravaganza.blogspot.com/2009/04/im-basking-in-glamour-of-my-blogging.html