Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday-Sept. 8

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here is another new word that I learned while reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood:
Querulous:  full of complaints; complaining.

Here is how querulous was used on page 210:
Sometimes he becomes querulous, at other times philosophical; or he wishes to explain things, justify himself.

I kind of guessed what this word meant when I first read it, but since I wasn't sure I decided to look it up.  So did you come across any new words this last week?

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Querulous is a great word, but it doesn't roll off of my tongue very easily.

Helen Ginger said...

I like the word "querulous." And I loved The Handmaid's Tale. Been a long time since I read it.

Margot said...

I actually knew querulous but I never use it. I know a person who is often querulous so I could use it.

N. R. Williams said...

Querulous is a great word, perhaps dated, but that doesn't mean we can't res-erect it right? No new words here.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author