Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday-Oct. 27

Bermudaonion asks you to share new words that you have learned during your reading adventures in the last week. Feel free to join in the fun!

Here are a couple new words that I learned while reading The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent:

Posset: a drink made of hot milk curdled with ale, wine, or the like, often sweetened and spiced.

Here is how posset was used on page 23:
She carefully inspected each of us for fever or crimson patches and then, without another word, began to prepare food for us and a posset to ease Andrew's fever.

Piquancy: agreeably stimulating, interesting, or attractive.

Here is how piquancy was used on page 46:
I told her then what little I had heard in the marketplace or on the streets, and if I expanded upon the truth, it was only to bring piquancy to the tales, like cloves added to meat.

I am really enjoying this book so far and can't wait to discuss with my book club next week!  So did you come across any new words that made you pull out your dictionary this week?

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I don't think I'd want to drink posset! I guess piquancy is from the word pique? Those are both great words!

Margot said...

Glad you are enjoying Heretic's Daughter. I like your two new words - both starting with p.

N. R. Williams said...

Great words and even better snippets of the story. No new words here. Sorry I haven't been around lately. I've been sick.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Veens said...

I like the way piquancy is used! Thans for sharing the words.