Friday, January 4, 2013

Books That Make Me Go....Ahhhh

So on Fridays I TRY to post a notable excerpt for the week.  These gems that catch my eye deserve much more notoriety besides being written down on a little sticky note in the front of the novel.

I loved this excerpt I found on page 58 of The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian:
Some of the mothers and aunts have lied to their young ones, telling them that they will be spending but a night or a week at the orphanage, while the others have told their children they will remain there until the end of the war-which then has left the women stymied, at a loss to explain whetther the end of the war is months or years distant.  The bravest of the mothers do not cry; the same with the bravest of the children.  Many of the women are too weak to offer even a last embrace or so close to death that they are grateful that the soldiers and the nuns have come for their children.  It's all, in Nevart's opinion, one more degrading station on their path to the cross. 

I know it's a long one today, but I didn't think I could leave anything out.  This is a wonderful novel about a piece of history that is totally new to me.  Watch for my review soon!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I've enjoyed the Bohjalian's books I've read so far, so I'm anxious to read this one.